Plum BBQ Prawns
-any plumb based bbq sauce or plumb based stir-fry sauce.
-couscous (your preference on which variety
-Chilli flakes (once again, the type and amount is up to your preference, I like to use around 1/6 of a mug of chilli flakes if I'm making enough for an entire family and intend to have left overs.
Huey's No 1 Asian Plum Sauce is really good for this recipe
1. boil the prawns for around 2 minutes on high
2. take the prawns out and steam them for another 2 minutes.
3. whip out the frying pan and lather it up with peanut oil. You don't have to use a lot, but the more you use the better it generally tastes.
4. chuck the prawns in and jostle them as you would a stir fry; try to make sure the prawns soak up as much of the peanut oil as possible.
5. Once step 4 is completed, add the plumb based sauce liberally (this recipe really goes through a lot of sauce), adding more until you're happy that the prawns are covered. Just keep going until you're happy with the colour (it should be a rich browny red)
nb: some people like the prawns to remain a little saucy, I personally like the sauce near burnt onto the prawns.
6. serve on a plate with couscous; any variety will do. I generally stick to the $2 supermarket sachet variety.
7. sprinkle chilli flates on top. If someone in your family can't handle spice then another good alternative is shaved lime. It adds a completely different taste to the meal
Story behind this recipe
Just a bit of gourmet magic I cooked up with a love of prawns and a bit of imagination.
Posted 13/12/2010 by Benjamin Graham